Tuesday 20 November 2012

FUNGI

On a gorgeous November day, my class went on a walk to Fleetwood Park which is located near our high school.  In my Biology 11 class, we have been learning about the different Phyla of fungi. We learnt that they are classified by their fruiting body and how they reproduce. The "mushroom part" or the fruiting body of the fungi is actually approximately one tenth of the actual organism. The rest of the fungi generally cannot be found above ground. Personally, if a teacher gives me a worksheet or notes, I can learn; but, I can make connections better with visual exemplars therefore this walk was perfect to fulfill this need. Sadly, due to illness  I was not able to participate in this adventure. However, I was filled in by my classmates on how the walk went and what they saw! First, my friend Shelby told be about the many fungi she found and took pictures of them to give me that visual aspect. 

Here is an example of "Shelf Fungus". They belong to the Club Fungi (Basidiomycota) Phyla. Other fungi from this phyla include: the common mushroom, puffballs, toadstools, jelly fungi, and rusts. These types of fungi have gills  that are lined with basida where sexual reproduction takes place and then meiosis which follows soon after. Most of the club fungi in the wild are actually poisonous so be careful when picking them!
TIP: Most bright coloured fungi are actually very poisonous or hallucinogenic!

Below are other examples of Shelf Fungus found in our park.
Shelf Fugus
FUN FACT: 1 mushroom can produce up to 1 BILLION haploid basidiospores. 

Q: What is this group named after? 
A: From a specialized reproductive structure that resembles a club.
Shelf Fungus











Here is a link to show you more information on Club Fungi:





Onward! Now, fungi have many different phyla including "Water Molds" (Oomycota), "Common Molds" (Zygomycota), my personal favourite"Sac Fungi" (Ascomycota), and "Imperfect Fungi" (Deuteromycota); however,  the dominant phyla on our walk was Club Fungi. Shelby and her group took pictures of other various fungi such as jelly fungi. All appeared to be sprouting from decaying matter, randomly in piles of leaves, or off trees.
Club Fungi by a tree

Club Fungi on a decaying log

Fungi sprouting from a log

Beautiful Fungi !












These are many examples of living fungi all around us. Most of us just bypass these magnificent organisms. Most fungi munch on decaying matter thus recycling nutrients (saprohophs), others are parasitic and some share symbiotic relationships with lichens.

FUN FACT: Truffles are actually Sac Fungi and are the most rare type of fungi and is edible. In fact, it is one of the most expensive delicacies in the world!

Other Facts:

LICHEN

MORE LICHEN
    













        

Club and Sac Fungi paired with cyanobacteria or Green Fungi can live together in harsh conditions. The lichen provide protection and the fungi provides             nourishment.                                                               
                                                                                       
Here is more information:

Overall, I was thrilled to hear all about the nature walk my teacher led from my classmate Shelby. Hopefully we could go on another walk that I would be able to attend. Something new I learnt was that fungi is pretty much everywhere and we should sometimes stop and take in the beauties of it. I believe this walk was a great way to further connect us to the information we learned in class by utilizing a visual aspect.

I thought it was pretty cheesy but cute and informative! 

I want to thank Shelby and Rittu for the pictures.
THANK YOU ! 
                                                                                       

1 comment:

  1. We missed you on our fungus walk Natalie but I'm glad you got this in :) You did a great job connecting what we learned in class to the activity, and I also loved how well you described the purpose of the walk, even though you werent there. Great job, I'm looking forward to seeing your Aquarium post!
    Prep of blog entry-4
    Quality of Content-4
    Personal Reflection-4
    Conventions-4
    Requirements-4
    28/28

    ReplyDelete